Petition to the House of Commons
- The world is becoming increasingly hostile to transgender and nonbinary individuals;
- Transgender and nonbinary people’s rights to live as themselves are being restricted and removed in many places;
- This includes the so-called “Western democracies” which have historically been presumed safe;
- The United Kingdom is revising their Equality Act to exclude trans people from its protections;
- More than a dozen American states have enacted or are considering legislation eliminating or criminalizing gender-affirming care; and
- Canada has prided itself on being an inclusive, tolerant, and welcoming society for everyone regardless of gender identity or gender expression.
We, the undersigned, residents of Canada, call upon the House of Commons to extend to transgender and nonbinary people the right to claim asylum in Canada by reason of eliminationist laws in their home countries, whatever country that may be.